Friday, May 11, 2007

Sleeping Around

One of the perks of working at a hagwon (an after-school, extra lessons academy) is that you only teach after school. Obviously, work would only start in the afternoon.
This sounded like a fabulous idea. I can enjoy my night life ad nauseum and sleep-in in the mornings. Wonderful!

Not being a morning person, the concept of this work was smashing. However, I am enjoying a typical South African schedule, rather than being 7 hours ahead. In other words, when I log in at work, most of my South African brethren are doing the same back home.

Most importantly, I can sleep in. Late.

On the other side, I can stay up. Late. Or early, depending on your view point. This blog, for instance, is being updated shortly before 7am on a Saturday. I did not have a particularly out of the ordinary Friday night. I am not on a wild sleep-deprived writing spree. This is normal.

I will wake up late tomorrow.

Half of my Saturday will be gone.

I have become a child of the night.

The most irritating thing, is that even when I have a slightly earlier night, I just cannot get out of bed unless there is a pressing matter (work, apointment or transport.) It is my vice and a serious problem.

The luxury of sleep is one that I over indulge in and will do so until the very last minute. The longer I can sleep, the better. Getting out of bed is an issue.

This has always been the case. I was one of the few children who couldn't be bothered with 7am cartoons. In the event that I really wanted to watch something, I would be accompanied by my duvet and pillow and would invariably pass out on the couch.

And so, this Korean experience is worsening my addiction. I love sleep. Sleep loves me. Korea is a great marriage of the two. It is simply a good thing that there is so much neon at night so as to mimmick day light and to further enhance my denial.

But today I attempt to start a fresh. I will start my day, when it is infact still day time. When the concept of morning is not used to refer the time I return home. Yes...I am on the road to recovery.

However, Not today. Its 7am and I'm going to bed!

No comments: