Sunday, May 06, 2007

People in Korea speak Korean.
Most of the people in Korea are Korean.
I am not Korean.

Surprise.
When I arrived, I did so armed only with a travel guide to fuel big dreams of travel plans. However, one can only read about Cambodia and Sri Lanka so many times in the space of a few days. I was craving media.


My flat had not yet been kitted with a television, I did not have a computer and I had read the Singaporean newspaper (from teh airplane) three times.

At least I work at an english school and could read the student's material. However, spark note type books are not fun after you;ve read a few. All I wanted was some entertainment! So, after raiding the other teacher's apartments for reading material I decided to venture out to the trainstation to where there was rumoured to be an english bookstore. My quest for literature begins!

Unfortunately it was interrupted by my over ambitious nature as I jumped off at the wrong bus stop. "Surely it can't be that far away," I tell myself. "I'll walk" Nice idea. Except that where I was walking was along a busy main road along side car mechanics and second hand furniture stores. Not the most scenic of areas but books are near by. Only a few kilometers. I find the bookstore and the 10 english books on sale. Two of which I can afford (first month, tiny budget.) And so I rush home to start reading my new found treasures: Sex and the City and Alice in Wonderland. A very similar theme actually.


I was proud of my new buys...but they lasted no time at all. I devoured them in two days. During my first month I scampered around for as much english literature I could find - pamphlets, books, magazines and newspapers. When wanting to tone down from the day these were all I had. Needless to say that I can tell you all about the happening in Singapore on the 10 of March 2007, and the safety standards embrassed by Korean air.

There really isnt much English media here. On the surface it seems fairly simple. They say dont judge a book by its cover and this is so true. It is fashionable to have english titles or names. Having english wording on your product/shop/menu does not mean that there will be any english explanation within it. This irks me!

While I have found english television channels, english magazines and books and I'm now online, the Korean element is ubiquitous. For instance, I'm not sure how to format this page, as this website's features (yes, MY blog) have magically turned in to circles, swiggles and lines that are the Korean characters. I recieve bills and bank statements that have english titles but I need to ask people in the know to translate the actual content. So much for confidentiallity.




How arogant is it of me to expect Korea to be english. Especially when the reason that I am here is to teach english!?!?!

I will just have to practice my Korean, or at least bulid bigger biceps to aid with the gesturing, waving and pointing for translation and entertainment purposes.


No comments: